Sunday, September 25, 2011

Goldenrod, Straw Bales and an Apple Gourd

Mom and I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday, and we got a bunch more pumpkins and gourds. They all found a lovely home (for the time being) in my Gnome Garden. I spent a while out there yesterday decorating and fitting all the new stuff in. Finally got around to putting the mini straw bales in place. We got those at the produce auction on Friday, and I'm hoping to pick up a few more this week. They should last all Winter, so I want to incorporate them into the Christmas decorating!

The sun finally got around to breaking through the clouds, so I was able to get the grass mown. It looks like I might have one more mowing before the grass is done for the year. It's pretty dry now, and starting to go dormant. As I was out mowing next to the bank at the side of the road, I noticed a gorgeous stand of goldenrod. Well, that gave me an idea, so I went out there and cut it down to about two and a half or three feet long. After digging out some string in the garage it turned into two really nice bunches. That wasn't quite enough to do anything with, so I went down to the raspberries and cut most of the goldenrod down from in there. In the end, I had ten bunches, so I put some nails on the fence in the garden and hung them up there. It's so pretty --- and it's a great way to enjoy this lovely wild flower that can't come in the house!

A really cool find at the Market yesterday is an "apple-shaped" gourd. It looks like a really big green apple. I saw it and had to have it. We also got a Long Island Cheese squash, which really looks like a pale pumpkin.

Mom thought there should be a picture of me in the garden, so here it is. This is after digging through the berry patch for all the goldenrod, so I'm just a bit hot!.

Dad spent yesterday stacking wood into the woodshed. It's really feeling like Fall. In fact, it's really feeling kind of like Winter is just around the corner! Gramma Gail and Kelly are coming up for a couple of days this week, so we're getting ready for that. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment