Sunday, October 21, 2012

Emptying the Attic (and Various Other Activities)

We've been so busy around here that I just don't get much time for blogging. This week's big project (for me) has been clearing out the attic. Mom and Elizabeth have been working on going through books, and they're doing a great job! Mom is hoping that she'll end up weeding about 3,000 books. That should really get us down to just the books that we actually want --- and make room for all of the books that we've gotten over the last couple of months at book sales!

I decided to climb into the attic and start cleaning out. It's sort of like a glorified crawl space, but you can stand up straight in the very middle. We've got all of the Christmas decorations up there, which take up quite a bit of room, let me tell you. They need more room, if you want the truth, so something has got to go! One area is full of boxes of various "hope chest" stuff that we've been putting up there for eleven or twelve years now. Lots of baby clothes (which I'm keeping), but also lots of boxes with various household goods that we don't want anymore. It's amazing what different tastes we've got now, at the age of twenty-five, compared to what we had at fourteen. So, I've been pulling boxes down one at a time and going through the stuff. The result is that there are quite a few empty boxes floating around downstairs that say "Sarah's (or Elizabeth's) Hope Chest" on them. Elizabeth was looking at one yesterday (with my name on it) and saying, "I guess she's given up hoping!" She was just kidding, of course!

There is still a lot of work to be done up there, so that's what is on my agenda for this coming week. We're also working on making ten shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child. Mom and I spent a day out shopping for some little things to go in them, and I've spent a couple evenings wrapping boxes. We're hoping to end up with seven boxes for girls and three for boys.

This coming week is supposed to bring some nice weather. We've had a lot of wind and rain lately. I need to take all of the little gnome decorations out of my garden, but I just haven't gotten around to that. Well, I can't think of any other news from this week, so I'll quit for now. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment