Sunday, July 12, 2009

Applesauce Spice Cake

Well, I tried a new recipe this week and it turned out so well that I thought I'd share it with all of you. It was actually a recipe from the side of a cake mix box: Old Fashioned Applesauce Spice Cake. It is very rich, so don't cut too large a slice, but it's fantastic! Here are some pics and the recipe.

Cake
1 package Spice Cake Mix
3 large eggs (I used three large egg whites)
1-1/4 cups applesauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped nuts

Frosting
1 container Vanilla or Cream Cheese frosting
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 13x9 inch pan.
Combine cake mix, eggs, applesauce and oil in large bowl.
Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in nuts.
Pour into pan. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Invert onto coolng rack. Turn right-side up. Cool completely.

For frosting, combine frosting and cinnamon (I put in a little extra cinnamon). Stir until blended. Spread over cooled cake.



I added coconut and nuts to the top of the cake and between the two layers --- definitely a nice touch. The cocnut adds a nice flavor. Also, I used about two cups of applesauce instead of the 1-1/4 cups that is called for. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment