Monday, May 2, 2011

A Needle-Felted 'Pierrot' of the Commedia dell'arte

It's happened! I finally finished the wool needle-felted doll of Pierrot. This means that the first pair of the Commedia dell'Arte figures is complete. It's taken me a while to finish him, as I haven't had as much "free time" to work on him. It seems like there have been lots of evenings where I am just too tired to felt.



Pierrot is 9-1/4 inches tall (including his hat), which makes him the tallest figure to date. He weighs 1.75 ounces. That actually surprised me, as he feels lighter than that. I think that it's because he is so tall and thin that the weight is distributed differently than, say, the Poirot doll. Pierrot took about 35 hours to complete. It looked for awhile like he was going to take forty or more hours, but his head ended up going together in six hours!

He is made of 100% Merino Wool roving felted with a #40 and a #42 felting needle. I'll certainly be glad to get to a doll with some more color! All of this white was starting to get to me. The next doll, that I'm hoping to start this week, is going to be "Columbine".

If you'd like to see some more photos of Pierrot, just CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment