Saturday, April 10, 2010

Believe it or not . . .

. . . there are days when my computer desk is clean! Here is a picture to prove it. I finally couldn't stand it any longer and decided to clean the desk out this morning. There were so many papers and "misplaced" items that it was getting hard to do anything on the computer at all! Even blogging was tough, and when that happens, you know it's serious. Click on the picture to see the full-size view.

Elizabeth and I are nuts about musicals, old musicals that is. We've seen a lot, and the ones that we haven't seen the whole of we've usually seen a part of them. Well, we actually got a musical this week that we hadn't even heard of and that is a fun thing!

The musical is called Deep in My Heart and is a bio-pic of operetta composer, Sigmund Romberg. That made the occasion twice as fun, since Romberg wrote a good portion of the songs that Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald were famous for singing. Not only that, every number was performed by a different guest star which always means high-quality numbers.

Stars included Helen Traubel, Gene and Fred Kelly (wow!), Vic Damone and Jane Powell and tons of others. Then came this number, almost at the end of the picture, and I just kind of forgot anything that had come before. It's Tony Martin singing Lover, Come Back to Me, in a way that you'll never hear again.



I always like to see any of my "princes" billed in a musical, and I don't think that any of their numbers have ever disappointed me, but this one was even better than I would have expected. He's got an amazing voice and is perfect for this song. That earns Mr. Martin five gold stars, considering that he's even singing a song that I heard sung by Nelson Eddy first! Hope you all enjoy the number as much as we did.

All in all, Deep in My Heart was a very enjoyable bio-pic. We also voted it a "tie" for best bio-pic ending along with I'll See You in My Dreams (the story of lyricist Gus Kahn). Romberg's Carnegie Hall performance and "impromptu" release of When I Grow Too Old to Dream is an ending not to be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment